For some, the holidays are fun, for some, its stress with a smile…they are here…and like it or not…most of us start stressing early!
Just a few tweaks can really help, and I want to help in any way I can…
Toss these around in your life and see which on sticks…you might find that small changes (read awareness ) makes huge differences in how you feel and move through the holidays and into your new year! Enjoy…and please tell me, and others, what works for you…here are a few…
1. Swap something sweet for something sweet…wait…what??? If you love your candy, cake, morning muffin, late afternoon soda. ..for 5 days, consider these other options. ..at first they will be weird, but you will find that you don’t need as much or maybe even like it better…
1. Medjool dates with almonds…super sweet but super healthy and by combining them with almonds its hella satisfying and sticks around longer than a snickers. Or, try dried mango, pineapple or apple…maybe even a sugar free lolly…that’s a two’fer…you get to hold something and taste it too.
2. This one may be a stretch, but you are not a cow….divorce dairy for 5 days…you can do anything for 5 days…dairy gunks up your system ..and slows everything down. No cheese you say? I say ….YES! Trust me…the next pizza you get, get it without cheese…any toppings you want but no cheese…it tastes so much better…and you don’t get that bloaty feeling…or, use almond milk in your coffee with honey…or use roasted green chilies on your burger, coconut milk ice cream (though I don’t really suggest that) . The point is, dairy is everywhere and we just get used to ignoring it…its a matter of reading labels…non fat milk, whey, milk…that’s out for a week. The moment you go back to dairy, the crampy bloaty yucky feeling will come back as your body’s way of rebellion.
3. Walk more…we have all heard this one before but seriously, walk more. You dont need to run or go crazy (unless you’re into that) but just more movement can pop you over the edge and create a new “normal”.
4. As a fitness Instructor, I see it all the time….people go to the gym but their bodies are the same after years of taking their favorite class…why? It’s because they are doing the same thing…think Enstein. .its a bummer to watch because they mean well and put in the time but the missing piece is effort. Add a little weight to your squats, or increase the chest reps, or add 3 mins of skipping rope between sets…or take a different class one day. I know, I know…you love your class and your instructor but if they are worth their salt…they will encourage you to challenge your body in new ways…and they will be there next week!!
5. This is probably the most important tweak you can do…LOVE YOUR BODY THE WAY IT IS NOW!!!!! Appreciate what it does beyond making heads turn…I mean think about it….it fights colds, it holds your kids, it allows you to hug someone, it gives you amazing experiences, it powers your dreams , it breathes on its own without even trying, it has brought you this far and it will be ready for the challenge you give it! Your body is amazing…you are amazing…and together….you can do anything you set your sights on!
This holiday season can be great….listen to your body, call it out on bull sh@t, and start your new year now…
Sending you encouragement, love, motivation and most of all a virtual push!
If you are a techy geek like me…check out heloworld.net a fitness tracker that can help you be aware, keep you engaged and it super fun to tack your progress. ..want one?
..and trust me…even doing one of these little tweaks will make a difference, do 2…and look out! All 5? Holy crap…get ready for your best year yet!!! you can do this !!! The Helo can help too!